Friday, May 30, 2008

great moments in racism history: john mccain

from feb 18, 2000:

Arizona Sen. John McCain refused to apologize yesterday for his use of a racial slur to condemn the North Vietnamese prison guards who tortured and held him captive during the war.

"I hate the gooks," McCain said yesterday in response to a question from reporters aboard his campaign bus. "I will hate them as long as I live."


---

"I was referring to my prison guards," McCain said, "and I will continue to refer to them in language that might offend some people because of the beating and torture of my friends."

McCain made it clear that his anger extends only toward his captors. As a senator, he was one of the leaders of the postwar effort to normalize U.S. relations with Vietnam.


i guess i can relate. i got no beef with mexicans, but i hate those god damned beaners that stole my bike (not really). if you're offended, but still want to vote for him, just imagine him as christopher walken in pulp fiction:

2 responses:

minotauromachy said...

The idea that that evil characters of any race correspond to the caricatures suggested and perpetuated by ethnic slurs is a racist idea. But somehow it is comforting that this guy is human atleast. Hate is an irrational emotion and that is what he feels for his former captors. Not exactly statesmanlike however

the analyst said...

exactly. you can't play apologist with this guy for his extensive torture, and say "well, that's just mccain being mccain."

works for my grandpa, but not the president. he has to be accountable for this kind of stuff.