Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bush Sacrifices Golf, Thousands of Young Blogs for Iraq War

Q: Mr. President, you haven’t been golfing in recent years. Is that related to Iraq?

A: Yes, it really is. I don’t want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander-in-Chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be as — to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal.

Q: Was there a particular moment of incident that brought you to that decision, or how did you come to that?

A: I remember when de Mello, who was at the UN, got killed in Bagdad as a result of these murderers taking this good man’s life. And I was playing golf. I think I was in Central Texas. And they pulled me off the golf course and I said, it’s just not worth it anymore to do.”


Such was the content of a question and answer segment of a recent, much discussed interview with President George W. Bush. Keith Olbermann goes off in this Special Comment YouTube clip.




Hold on for a second while I channel Keith Olbermann for I Can Has Freedoms?'s own Special Blogment:

Golf, Sir?

Golf?

Why did it have to be a leisure activity, Mr. President? Did you think giving up golf would suffice as adequate solidarity for the thousands of millions of I Can Has Freedoms? blog readers gutted and mustachioed by the intrepid ennui of missed blog opportunities by YOUR refusal to do anything whatsoever athletic and by-God scoffable?

(Slow, stern turn to Camera 2)

Golf. And we should expect nothing less from you, Good Sir. Mark Twain once mused that golf was to him “a good walk spoiled.” But you, sir. You. You have made war a good sport spoiled. And in so doing for that most egregious offense to the good blog-writing Americans, there will be no Eagle, no birdie, no par-for-the-course putt for you, Mr. President. Only a double-bogie, a three-under par drop shot hack in the rough so gnarled and overgrown not even your precious Patriot Act, warmongering, brush-clearing obsession can redeem you. No, Sir. Mr. President. No, sir. Shame, Mr. Sir. Shame, Sir. President.

Good night and good luck.

This is also available at my crappy sports-politics blog (shameless plug). It makes more sense there, but what the hell.

2 responses:

D said...

Amazing.

I love that this is a double blog.

not enough people call The Olber-Man out.

We should all remember that this is a man who became famous for saying things like "It's deep, and I don't think it's playable," or "He beats him like a rented goalie," or (my personal favorite), "He pulled a groin. His own we hope."

Just saying.

minotauromachy said...

Its really amazing that this blog still has a life of its own, though all the people who wrote for it went their own ways. I am glad you enjoy these posts a year after they were written. It speaks to the emotional energy that drove this whole enterprise and also the historic moment that we were all writing in. Here's to never having the last word.