Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Notes from the Right-Wing: Lou Pearlman

I'm Joeverkill, and these are some notes from the Right-Wing.

In news today, Lou Pearlman, the creator of the Backstreet Boys and N*SYNC, was sentenced to 25 years in prison for defrauding investors and banks out of roughly $300 million. From the USA Today:

U.S. District Judge G. Kendall Sharp gave Pearlman the chance to cut his prison time by offering a one-month reprieve for every $1 million in cash he helps a bankruptcy trustee recover for his victims.Theoretically, Pearlman could cancel his entire 300-month sentence by repaying the $300 million debt.

Ahem. So... how is this different than paying the guy one million dollars per month to chill out in white collar prison?

I wish I had that kind of deal. Damn, I'd do ten months in jail and be set for life. Hey... I guess all I have to do is defraud hundreds of people out of their life savings and lie illegally to a lot of banks! Sweet!

On the other hand, the guy did give us the Backstreet Boys. I guess society owes him a great debt.

1 responses:

minotauromachy said...

dude, his scheme to earn that money is to promote a new band called US5. Some one please throw the key away on this guy, if only for the sake of what remains of the music industry and culture.